Friday, May 18, 2007

Memphis May 4-6, 2007

Wow, I really had a blast out in Memphis! I happened upon this opportunity purely by happenstance and the great regard of friends. Chino from New Orleans, when he found out I'd relocated to Little Rock for a few months, put me in touch with Edgar "Tun Tun" Mendez who runs Salsa Memphis. Edgar is an amazing guy who used to dance with Los Rumberos in California before moving out to Memphis and helping salsa get started over there (as far as I know). I'd been up there one time before with my friend Marcus.



Edgar invited me up to do workshops and we were finally able to arrange something that worked with my busy weekend schedule and lack of a car:). (Memphis is about 2 hours from Little Rock).

Well the event went really well! There was a social Friday nite where Marcus and I did a fun freestyle to one of my favorite songs.



All Saturday was my styling workshop. The first hour was for men and women and covered spin technique. The second two hours were devoted to the ladies and covered presence, body movement, open shines, precision, and more spins. It was a ton of fun! Here is a pic of me and some of the ladies that attended.


Saturday night was performance time. I was of course nervous but since this was the third time I'd done the piece, I at least had worked out most of the kinks. My girlfriend from Memphis Criss did my makeup (an awesome job!) and I was all set to go.



I had an awesome time in Memphis and I'm pretty sure I'll get back out there before I leave down south. The people are wonderful and they are definitely salsaholics - my favorite kind of folks:P.

Check out the rest of the pics below:

No comments: